Friday, February 7, 2014

Staffing Up! Harley's Help Desk #1


Hello, dog friends, friends of dogs and cats!!!  I had such a wonderful time last week visiting with my nana and pawpaw!  There were squirrels EVERYWHERE!  Even though I missed the market, it was nice to take a break; refresh, recharge, and regroup before hitting the ground running in Melrose (see everyone Sunday!!!).

I've got to admit, I was a little worried letting Wesley look after my blog while I was away, but he really surprised me! I mean, he's a bit..um...well, let's just say he's 100% boy and it kind of comes out in his writing.  But he's my buddy, and I love him, farts faults and all.

I think I want to keep the trend going of introducing you guys to my staff.  They have wonderful insight on a lot of different topics, and it really takes a load off of me when I'm out rounding up clients, helping my mom bake, and keeping squirrels out of our yard (it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!)

Today, I’d like to introduce you guys to a very special friend of mine.  I met her through Lily – she’s actually my sister’s best friend, and so she’s been hanging around my house since she was a puppy. 

Harley always wears a big smile.
And lots of pink.
Harley is some kind of beagle/rottie/aussie/hound mix – just an All-American mutt.  We just call her a Harley.  She was rescued in December 2011 from – gulp – Death Row – at the animal shelter in Lancaster, CA when she was 9 weeks old and scrawny as a newborn meerkat. She loves to chat with squirrels, eviscerate squeak toys, and read her dad’s philosophy textbooks.  I hope you guys like her as much as Lily and I do. 

Here’s an except from our chat:

Hello again, Harley!  You’re looking well!
Thank you, Miss Rosie!  You too.  That’s a very pretty necklace.  It goes well with your spots today.

Er, thanks.  So, Harley, have you given much thought to what you want to write about on my blog?
Oh, yes.  Much, much thought. I’ve thought so much I dreamed I was thinking in my sleep.

Wow.  That is a lot of thought.  What have you decided?
I’ve decided I would like to hike Mount Fuji when I grow up.  I’m sure the hike would give me lots of time alone with my thoughts, and I'd find a lots of new squirrel friends to guide me.

Um, okay. Any decisions on blog topics?
Oh, yes!  I’m sorry, you weren’t specific.  Specificity is the key that unlocks the door to communication. But I do have an idea for you.

That’s great!  I’d love to hear it!…Um, I mean, can you please share your idea on blog topics with my readers?
Certainly.  Miss Rosie, do you remember the day you were rescued?

Not really.  I was pretty young.        
Same here.  I don’t remember much any more except how cold and dark everything was until my parents rescued me.  I also remember how hungry I was, and how my tummy hurt all the time.  Then, when my parents rescued me, I was warm, and I had a good meal, and my tummy stopped hurting so much.  It was wonderful.

It sure was.  I’ll never forget when my mom picked me up and hugged me the first time.
Same here.  I didn't know what it was to hug and snuggle, and now it's my favorite thing ever. So I got to thinking – and I think a lot – and it occurred to me that my mom and dad took a big step in rescuing me.  Some parents rescue puppies like us and they have no idea what to feed us, or how to get our tummies to stop hurting, or what to do when we can't stop pooping everywhere, or anything, really.  They come to us with a heart full of love and compassion and a desire to save our lives. When they open their hearts and homes to us, they may not have the slightest clue on what comes next.  It's a wonderful place, but a very scary place, too. I’d like to help with that.

That’s a wonderful idea, Harley.  You’re so right – rescuing a pup can be just like bringing home your first baby – you can read up on everything, and try to prepare, but there are some things that are going to come up that pet parents may not know how to handle on their own.
Yep.  Like when my brother ate my mom’s disposable razor.  Or when he jumped up and ate a bunch of grapes off the kitchen counter.  Or when he ran smack into a fire hydrant and knocked himself silly. Who can prepare for THAT? Wouldn’t it be nice to point them in the right direction?  Maybe not about snacking on disposable razors, but about how to provide proper nutrition, how to get us to love our new crate and not chase the kitty cats, that sort of thing.

Um, Harley?  You used to chase kitty cats?
I plead the fifth. 

So there you have it, folks!  Stay tuned for updates from Harley’s Help Desk – a place for new rescue moms and dads to grow and learn right alongside their new furbaby – or anyone who needs a little nudge in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment